What’s included in the price of the holiday?
Please also see the individual holiday information for more detail.
- Transfers from the airport - All Polka Dot Cycling holidays start when we meet you at the airport and transfer you to your first nights accommodation and end when we wish you a fond farewell having transported you to your return airport. Flights are not included in the price, (please see below details in the ‘How do I get there?’ section.
- Accommodation – we include accommodation in our trips, please see the individual holiday details as to the type and location of accommodation provided.
- Meals - breakfasts will be taken in the hotel but some evening meals will be out at lovely local restaurants.
- Snacks – if you are cycling in the mountains you need to keep yourself well fuelled for the day and to help you recover for the next, so we provide snacks and drinks to keep you going; fruit, dried fruit and nuts, cereal bars, cake, crisps and Haribo!
- Mechanical Assistance – we have a comprehensive tool kit with us at all time and can fix most problems relating to a bicycle! We also carry the most commonly needed spare parts (inner tubes, tyres, cables, wheels, extra sprockets etc). Please note we do make a charge for these items.
- We have extensive knowledge of local bike shops as well, so if a more serious mechanical problem arises we will endeavour, but can’t promise, to try to get it fixed for you or sort out the hire of a bike if the problem cannot be fixed in time.
- Advice – with our vast experience of riding in the mountains and knowledge of the areas, we offer advice if you would like it on how to climb, gearing, pacing, descending and nutrition etc on all our holidays. We want to make sure you get the absolute most out of your holiday in your own particular way.
- Transportation – on some of our holidays we need to make transfers between start or end points as well as airport transfers and this is all included. Also if you just want to do a shorter distance on any day, we’ll make sure we get you to the next hotel. If you are on one of our holidays that go from place to place, we’ll also make sure all your luggage gets transferred to the next hotel.
- Garmin downloads – we provide Garmin downloads for all the routes we cover during your holiday.
- Maps - everyday you will be given full direction sheets with maps and details of the climbs.
How do I book one of your holidays?
To assure your place on a tour, please click on the Book Now button available on the information page or the home page, then choose your holiday. You will need to submit each person to the booking one at a time and then finish the booking.
For any further questions about this tour, please don’t hesitate to get in touch with Niamh either by phone (+44) 001869 278130 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Do we need our own Travel Insurance?
Before embarking on any of our holidays, we require everyone to have travel insurance including full medical cover that covers the participant for cycling. We partner with Dog Tags who offer specialist travel insurance for cyclists suitable for our holidays. www.dogtag.com/polkadot
What financial protection do you offer?
We take your financial protection very seriously. In accordance with "The Package Travel, Package Tours Regulations 1992" all passengers booking with Polka Dot Cycling Ltd are fully insured for the initial deposit and subsequently the balance of all monies paid to us, including repatriation if required, arising from the cancellation or curtailment of your travel arrangements due to the insolvency of Polka Dot Cycling Ltd
We have full insurance for this arranged by Towergate Chapman Stevens through International Insurance Company of Hannover SE.
How do we get there?
As our customers can fly in from anywhere in the world we suggest using site like www.skyscanner.net to find the best deal for you. Please make note of the arrival and departure airport for the trip you are going on and we suggest checking to see what time we advise you to be arrive by or leave after. In some locations the airport transfer can take a few hours without traffic.
The high speed rail TGV network in Europe is exceptional and a very pleasurable way to travel. You can book a TGV train journey via the website www.raileurope-world.com or www.voyages-sncf.com (in French and English). When travelling with a bike on trains, we recommend you pack it into a bike bag. This saves you having to put it in the bike carriages of the train, where it could get damaged.
Some people prefer to travel out earlier or stay on afterwards and driving can be a great way to achieve this. We have personally done this on trips we have been on so have first hand experience of this. Please call us if you wish to drive and meet us and we will aim to help you with a secure place to leave your car and arrange the transfer accordingly.
If I need to cancel, what happens?
If you wish to cancel your holiday with us, this must be done in writing or by email to email@example.com. The date the cancellation letter is received is the date the cancellation will come into effect. The following cancellation charges will apply:
• From booking and confirming with payment of deposit, that deposit is held and kept by Polka Dot Cycling Ltd.
• 12 weeks (84 days) prior to departure, 100% of the balance is due.
If you are no longer able to travel and it is 8 weeks or more in advance of the departure date, you may be able to transfer your place to someone else if the holiday has the maximum number of people already booked on it.
Can I hire a bike instead of bringing my own?
Yes we have a fleet of BMC SLR03 Roadmachine bikes with Shimano 105. We have the following sizes available; 47, 51, 54, 57, 60. Please see the individual holiday deatails for information on pricing of these as it varies depending on length of trip.
What support do you offer before departure and during the holiday?
Prior to departure
Our ethos is to do everything we can to make sure that you get the most out of your holiday in the way you want to. We often find that many of our guests would like information on how to get prepared for a holiday like this, to make the most of their experience, so we offer free training advice, tailored to your individual needs and circumstances. We recommend that if you would like this advice, you talk to us at least 2 months before departure.
An information pack on what to expect and what to bring as well as the relevant Garmin downloads will be sent to you 1 month prior to departure. The Garmin files will also be available to download and will be sent you prior to your holiday.
Whilst on Holiday with us
Picture this….you’ve been in the saddle going up a climb for an hour and half and your bottles are running low but you don’t know where the next water fountain or shop is, what you would do for someone to magically appear with a top up for your bottles and a snack to keep you going. This is what Polka Dot fully supported tours are all about. Just when you need us we appear or at the very least we are only 5 mins away! We also do lots of other things to help support your rides. It's the combination of support ideas that makes the difference to your experience. Full minibus support (inc drinks, snacks, mechanical assistance and luggage transportation) is part of the package on all our holidays whether you are riding for the whole day or just one climb. We’ll keep you pedalling!
How fit do I need to be?
Riding in the mountains is more of challenge than riding on flat roads, but you don’t need to be a super hero or professional to summit the Cols! The amount you choose to do each day is your decision and so we cater for a wide range of fitness levels.
We do however recommend that if you haven’t ridden in the mountains before, you contact us and get some advice on preparation. We want you to get the absolute most out of your holiday and some hints and tips in advance can make a significant difference to your enjoyment. We will also provide you with a Free training programme if you would find that useful.
What should we bring?
We will send you a ‘What to bring’ information pack approx 1 month prior to the departure of your holiday so you will have the time to prepare. The one area you might want to consider straight away is the gearing for your bike. Most of our guests ride on a compact chain set, or triple in the mountains so they can keep the gears low enough to allow the legs to recover for the next day. Clothing is equally as important; the weather in the mountains can change within a short space of time. Please make sure you bring a minimum of 1 thermal winter jacket, 1 rain cape, arm warmers, leg warmers or tights, long fingered gloves and overshoes. If you have any questions on the suitability of your gear, please do contact us.
How do you assign the sharing of rooms?
Standard prices shown are based on 2 people sharing a twin room. We assign rooms based on gender and where possible age as well. If you would prefer to have a single room there is a separate charge per week for this. Please see the individual holiday details for the price of this and please tick the single occupancy box on the booking form for this.
How many people will be sharing the experience with us?
The maximum group size we operate is 14 people across all our holidays. All our holidays have 2-4 (depending on group size) highly experienced and knowledgeable holiday guides to support you and to ensure you have a great Polka Dot experience. The minimum group size we operate is 6 people depending on the type of trip.
How can I pay the balance of my trip?
Most people choose to pay the remaining balance on their trip by card, which you can do by calling Steve on (+61) 0488 918 900
If I am unable to make my trip, can I have my deposit returned?
Unfortunately, if this were to happen we would not be able to return the deposit. The deposit is used to secure your hotel booking and transfers in advance and we are unable to get this returned for you. However we can offer you the chance to change your booking to be used for another person if you can find someone to take your place. We will be happy do this without admin charge or incurring further charges than the balance due on the trip.
What about lunch and dinner?
Please make note of the "What's Included" section of your trip to see whether evening meals are included or not. Lunch is either substituted with "Ride Food" as it is easy for the stomach to manage whilst being active but we may occasionally offer a picnic style lunch on lighter days or when we are watching a race, like on the Giro D'Italia trip. Otherwise we will visit local restaurants.
If you have any further questions please don't hesistate to contact us .